Getting Started with the CurryCare App
“CurryCare” is an iPhone/Android app that integrates with our own optional wireless bioimpedance scale and wireless activity/sleep tracker. It enables our team to remain in close communication with you, alerts us when you may be deviating from your program, and gives us objective data on your food intake to help keep you on track with your weight loss goals. We offer the scale/tracker combo for just $99 at any of our office locations and the app is free! To get started, go to the iOS or Android app store and download the CurryCare app.
- Open the app and tap on “Don’t have an account? SIGN UP”
- Enter personal info, create a password, and choose which office you will most commonly visit.
- After you have completed all the fields, click “Create Account” at the bottom.
- Scroll through the mini-tutorial pages and you will be at the home page and ready to go!
The first thing to do is to populate goals in your Profile. Access this by tapping on the 3 horizontal bars at the very upper left-hand corner of the app, then tapping on “Profile.” You will see various goals you can set (depending on the size of your phone, you may need to scroll down to see them all).
- Weight goal
- Use the slider to set your weight goal. Talk to your team about what a reasonable goal weight should be for your particular program.
- Daily steps goal
- Typically a minimum of 10,000 is recommended, however for some patients this is not practical at first. Just start with a goal somewhere and you can increase it with time.
- Daily water goal
- Start with a minimum of 64 ounces. If you are working out a lot you may need to increase this!
- Daily sleep goal
- Typically this should be 8 hours.
- Daily calories goal
- Discuss this with your dietitian. They will be able to send a message in your app that has goals for calories, protein, carbs, etc.
- Weekly exercise goal (you may need to scroll down to see this depending on your phone size)
- Use the slider to choose your goal for how much time you want to spend exercising each week.
Once you complete these, tap on the left arrow at the top to get back to the home screen.
Home Screen Sections
Weight (upper left): If you are using the integrated bluetooth Selvera SMART Scale from our office, this is where you go each morning to weigh-in by syncing your scale (you need to put batteries in it first). When you first get up, after you empty your bladder, just tap on “Weigh In” and step up on your scale in your bare feet. Stay still for about 10 seconds and the app will notify you on the screen when the sync is complete! If you don’t have our scale, no problem just click on Weight in Manually at the bottom and you can enter your weight (and other data if your scale measures it).
Steps (upper right): If you are using the integrated tracker from our office, this is where you go to sync your steps. If you have an Apple Watch, FitBit, or Google Fit Device, click on the small settings icon and you will see an option to connect these devices as well. It’s a good idea several times throughout the day to tap on the “Sync tracker” button and then the “Sync now” button on the next page to update your steps. For third-party devices this should happen automatically without the sync tracker button. (Note: as of the current release there is a small bug for Apple Watches that sometimes requires you to exit and restart the app to sync your steps.)
Calories (middle): This section will show your daily calorie intake goal, your consumed calories that you’ve tracked thus far, and your remaining available calories to be consumed for the day. Tap on “View Meals” to make food journal entries throughout the day.
Exercise (middle): When you complete any form of structure exercise, you can click on this section to log it in the app. Once the exercise screen opens, click the “plus” sign in the upper right, and pick the activity type, start time, duration, and intensity of your workout.
Water: Tap on this as you consume fluids through the day to track your intake.
Supplements: For most programs the dietitians will be recommending vitamins and/or supplements to be taken twice a day. After your complete your morning regimen, tap here to go to the Supplements screen and hit the plus button and then Save. You will see on the home screen that your morning supplements will indicate that they are completed. Do the same for your evening regimen.
Other Important Areas
Contact: Here you can send private messages to the team member of your choice, and we can send you messages as well. Currently the app does not support notifications in iOS (it’s coming soon!), but you will get notified via email when you have a new message and then you will need to log in to read the message.
Scheduling: In the future, dietitians and providers will be making some time available for scheduling through the app for phone or virtual appointments. Stay tuned for this as it’s coming soon.
Plus Icon: At the bottom center there is a “+” symbol. When you tap it a menu will cascade out. Most of these are duplicates of functions already available on the home screen except for:
- Sleep: If you are using the integrated tracker from our office, click the moon with the zz’s by it when you go to bed to put it into sleep mode. Likewise click it when you wake up to put your tracker back into activity mode.
- Fork/Knife: This section is quite extensive and is where all your food journaling happens. If you are eating a product out of a box or a can, you can click the barcode icon at the upper left and simply scan it to get the nutritional info. Otherwise you can enter part of a food item in the search box and quickly find almost anything. Once you select an item you can click on the star in the upper right corner to add it to your favorites so you can find it easily again.
- It is critical to add every single food item you consume to your journal!
- Add items as you consume rather than adding them all at the end of the day.