Treatments for GERD
GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease, is a chronic condition that affects millions of Americans.
Effective medications, called “proton pump inhibitors” (Prilosec, Nexium, Protonix, Prevacid, etc.) were developed years ago and drastically reduce the symptoms of GERD.
These drugs have been the mainstay of treatment for this problem for over a decade. The problem is that many recent studies show long-term use of these drugs can cause:
- increased risks of heart attacks
- increased risks of kidney failure
- increased risks of hip fractures
- increased risks of dementia
- increased risks of certain types of gastric cancers
- increased risks of clostridium difficile infection
Fortunately we offer 2 minimally invasive options for the treatment of GERD, which could potentially render you free of medication!
These procedures can be done in an outpatient setting, with low risk and minimally recovery time. Our experienced team at Metabolic Weight Loss Centers and JourneyLite can solve your GERD issues!